Wednesday, June 01, 2005

SLOWLY GETTIN' LVM STUFF

I've been looking for a command that will give me a list of all the partitions on the harddrive.
The "df" command doesn't really turn me on but the "sfdisk -l " command is sooooo sexy.
Been looking for this for ages. I can finally see that the LVMs I created are there.

Well got that done - initialized physical volume with

# pvcreate main


Then tried


# vgcreate -s 32M main /dev/hda5

And of course got a spanner in the works. So spent ages looking for a command to configure the volume group to the same specifications as it says on http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lvm2.html.
Finally came up with:

# vgchange -l 128 /dev/main

I thought you would have to put /dev/hda5 to make the changes but after a bit of guesswork came up with the above.
Doing it exactly the same as on the ibm page, so as not to confuse my small brain. Have to find out how to get rid of it later!

# lvcreate -L1G -nlv_home

-L is the size of the volume - 1 gigabyte, -n is the name which is lv_home. Whoops forgot the place where it was going to be!

# lvcreate -L1G -nlv_home main

Success! yep I have had success except that when I want to logout from x windows I can't. There must be an umount command I'm missing from log off. the compute just hangs, wait a mo, might just leave it a bit longer, been changing to virtual console and entering the password to get out.

Gee it's been ages since I have got back to this - so much so that I have pretty much forgotten how to do it - knew I would!
Other more pressing work has been at hand.
Still I used the above as a trial run. Next time it looks as though I will have the partition I want mounted to the machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home